My Blog List

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fantasy Baseball




Fantasy Baseball was introduced to me through my boyfriend. A couple of years back, he began to form a league with all of his buddies on the Internet. At first, it was a new hobby and I thought small of it. However, as I became more knowledgeable about the fantasy world I learned that there was also Fantasy Football, which meant my boyfriend would be glued to his computer all year round! This proved true, as my boyfriend's team grew bigger and stronger he became enthralled in fantasy. Never did I imagine my boyfriend to become one that would obsess over something that was simply not real. He was never into video games, so I did not understand where this was coming from. I began to resent the fantasy leagues and all of its nonsense since it was taking quality time away from my time with my boyfriend. However, with the help of the Yankees winning the world series last year I began to like baseball and most importantly understand it. Today, I am at peace with the leagues and the obsession. Football is still something I know little about, but hopefully I will learn the rules to the game this year. And maybe, just maybe I will form a league of my own someday or not!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vocabulary
  • enthralled (verb) to be captivated
  • Fantasy baseball (noun) a baseball competition with imaginary teams
  • hobby (noun) an activity or interest done for pleasure
  • league (noun) an association of individual having a common goal
  • nonsense (noun) something ridiculous
  • obsess (verb) to think about something all the time
  • resent (verb) to show displeasure or annoyance
  • world series (noun) in baseball, an annual season of games between two winning major league teams
  • Yankees (noun) a major league baseball team

Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary words:

  • The ______ _______ games are always the priciest tickets to buy.
  • I joined a _________ that helped animals that were really sick.
  • The _________ and the Mets represent the state of New York in major league baseball.
  • I _______ over little details when writing papers.
  • My favorite ______ is scrapbooking.
  • _______ ________ lets you create your own teams and manage them.
  • She was so __________ with the performers of the circus.
  • There is so much ________ on the television nowadays.
  • He began to ______ his parents when they gave away his car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grammar Point

The paragraph above offers a few collective nouns. Collective nouns are words that represent groups of people. Identify the collective nouns in the paragraph. Brainstorm words that are collective nouns and jot them down. Use the words in complete sentences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link

Start you own fantasy league visit:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post about virtual sports! I don't think I will be starting a league of my own, though.

    ReplyDelete