My Blog List

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hair



Hair has always been very important in my family since I can remember. As a child, my mother would always create home treatments for mine and my sisters' hair, which was about every weekend or at least it seemed. She would put all types of different oils and vegetables, such as avocado, olive oil, mayonnaise and even eggs into our hair to better it. She also believed that weaving a braid into our hair, immediately while it was washed and wet, would make for thicker and stronger hair. As a child, I had very fine limp hair that was always in a pony tail. My mother and everyone I knew valued and aimed for thick, shiny, and voluminous hair. My sisters all had hair that people seemed to rave about. My oldest sister had curly hair and my second oldest sister had thick hair with soft beautiful waves. As a child, it did not seem too much of a big deal to have this texture of hair. As I grew older, my idea of hair began to change; my hair went through quiet a few changes. My hair would go from long to short every year and eventually it went to a platinum blond. I wanted long, shiny, super voluminous, platinum blond hair. I was a true life case of blond ambition; my hair was never too blond. After that phase of my life was over, I spent tons of money in salon care and treatments to heal my hair from all the distress it went through in the bleaching process. Now hundreds of dollars later, my hair is at a happier place. Its long, shiny and with the help of special shampoos and products it is also voluminous.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vocabulary
  • ambition (noun) a desire for some type of achievement
  • bleaching (verb) to make whiter or brighter in color
  • distress (noun) suffering
  • limp (adjective) lacking firmness
  • phase (noun) a stage in the process of change
  • platinum blond (noun) a pale blond
  • rave (verb) to talk wildly
  • texture (noun) the physical structure
  • treatment (noun) application of remedies
  • voluminous (adjective) of great size and fullness
  • weaving (verb) to move in a zig-zag way

Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary words:

  • The ________ of the walls were very hard and bumpy.
  • After the boy tripped over the book, he had a ________ walk.
  • The best __________ for a cough is cough syrup.
  • This ________ of my life is a difficult one.
  • So many people ______ about a college degree, bu those who have one cannot find a job.
  • My only _________ in life is to succeed at everthing I do.
  • The girl sat on the porch __________ a basket for her grandmother.
  • The Girls Next Door from the Playboy Mansion have __________ _______ hair.
  • In order to get platinum blond hair, the hair must go through a ___________ process.
  • After only a year, she had to throw away her boots because of all the __________ they went through as she wore them for hours at a time.
  • I use so many products and teasing techniques to get my hair to look ______________.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grammar Point

The paragraph above has many adjectives, which describe nouns, in this case my hair. Look for and identify the adjectives and the word(s) they are describing. Next, write about your hair or your families hair. Include at least (5) adjectives. Be descriptive!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link

Make your own home hair treatments visit:

http://www.hairstyle.com/hair-articles/home-hair-care-tips.htm

3 comments:

  1. Magnificent and detailed description of hair! I bleached mine when I was about 16 until 20 or so. I don't fuss with it, and although I would like it to be long, it gets too thin, so I always keep it relatively short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great vocabulary words - all words that an ELL would see on a Pantene commercial! And I love doing DIY treatments on my hair - a little mayonaise goes a long way! -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to try applying those vegetables and oils in my hair. This blog would be interesting to ELL's, especially the girls. Great site, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete